A room of my own – living in the flats
• Our sheltered flats are located in different districts of Berlin.
• We make a sublet contract with each resident. The minimum rental period is two weeks.
• The women themselves are responsible for the day to day life within the apartment. This includes self- catering, parental responsibility and regular rent payments.
• The identity of the residents, the flats and phone number must be kept anonymous at all times – even after the woman has moved out.
• Men are not admitted to the flats – regardless of their relationship to the women in the shelter flats.
Further important principles and requirements for living in the shelter-flats:
• cooperating with the staff
• a genuine desire to change their personal situation
• tolerance towards different cultural backgrounds and customs
• non-violence in the flats
• Each woman has her own room together with their children, where they live independently.
• The women are responsible to organize their daily life by themselves, cooperating with the other residents living there. Living in a shared accommodation enables them to redraw their boundaries and discover and experience their own needs for freedom.